Baseball: where being the biggest tool is unquestionably a good thing.
To that end, Baseball America has been rolling out its series on the best tools in the minor leagues this year, as voted on by managers within each league. You can see the Triple-A leagues here, Double-A here, High-A here, and Low-A here.
The Chicago Cubs prospects who were selected:
- Southern League Best Power: Alexander Canary
- Southern League Best Defensive 1B: Bryce Ball
- Southern League Best Defensive 2B: Chase Strumpf
- Southern League Best Defensive SS: Luis Vázquez (How about that Tennessee Smokies defensive infield, eh?)
- Midwest League Best Fastball: Daniel Palencia
- Midwest League Best Defensive OF: Pete Crow Armstrong
- Carolina League Best Changeup: Luis Devers
- Carolina League Best Defensive OF: Pete Crow Armstrong (Two leagues’ worth of managers thought he was the best!)
The Cubs also got an honor in the form of Michael Ryan being voted the best managerial prospect in the Southern League – Ryan is in his first year managing the Double-A Tennessee Smokies after last year managing the High-A South Bend Cubs. Before that, he was a manager in the Pittsburgh Pirates’ minor league system.